Mrs.Sugantha Mala attended National workshop on “Recent Technological Innovation in teaching, learning and Evaluation for quality Higher Education” organized by Research Department of NMCC along with Dr. Vindhya Vasini Roy. The session were of hands on training. Mr.Thiagu and mr. V. P. Joshith were the resource person from central University KasarKode, Kerala. They discussed and practically shown the mobile apps for teachers, virtual reality, MOOCS, tools for teaching and learning online journals etc.
Dr.Anjana Shukla Faculty of Botany along with 15 students attended two days workshop on “Organ Donor Transplantation” on 24th & 25th January at Koti Women’s College. The session was about types of organ transplantation, when we consider organ transplantation, what are the organs that are being transplanted……etc.
Department of Botany organized two days workshop on “Bonsai” with an objective to enhance skill development in Bonsai making.140 students of I, II, III MBC &BtBC attended the workshop.
On 23rd January- Introduction to Bonsai, Types of Bonsai, Soil composition and Demonstration of Bonsai preparation was organised.
- On 24th January- Hands on training by individual students in Bonsai preparation was carried out.
The department organized 4 day workshop on Enzymology (Amylase and Bromelain Enzyme Extraction, Purification and Application) from 12 th to 16th October 2017 with an aim to make students competent to meet industrial requirements. Total 26 students of II BtBC have participated in this workshop. The resource persons were from Nitza Biological Ltd, Neredmet, Hyderabad.
Conferences & Seminars
Dr. P. Padmalatha along with 3 students Nazmeen, Shaheen and Selah Debberma of II BtBC attended National Conference on “Save Western Ghats” at Coimbatore, Tamilnadu on 1st to 3rd February 2019 . The conference emphasized the active participation of youth in saving the western ghats which is one of the hotspots of India in Biodiversity.
National conference on Innovation in Life sciences for Sustainable Environment (20th & 21st February 2019) at Bangalore
- Mrs.Sugantha Mala along with Evita Tina Fernandez III BtBC attended and presented a paper on “Organic Urban gardening – An easy and convenient method of Agricultire practices for a sustainable urban society”.
- Ms.Ankitha and Ms. Selah of II & III BtBC participated and gave paper presentation on the topic “Urban development”.
National seminar “Emerging trends and Development in Biotechnology (16th February 2019) at AV College
Mrs.Sugantha Mala along wihEvita Tina Fernandez of III BtBC attended one day National Seminar at AV College. Chief Guest was Professor ArjulaRamachandra Reddy and Guest of HonorDr.SmithaPawar BOS Biotech, OU. New arenas in Biotechnology were discussed.
- Dr. P. Padmalatha attended state level seminar on “Sustainability of Agriculture through Horticulture” on 2nd March 2019 at AMS College . Resource person was Professor Manoharachary and professor Gangadhar who emphasized the importance of Horticulture plants along with cereal crops. They also spok on need of urban farming and its advantages to meet the demand of the present scenario.
A Guest Lecture on “Clinical Research and Pharmaco Vigilance “ was organised on 22nd January 2019.The resource person was Dr.BhanuPriya, Academic and Training Clinical Research Consultant, Angur Safety Service pvt ltd. She focussed on importance of clinical research and the need of pharmaco vigilance for effective treatment of various diseases.
Dept of botany organized extension lecture on Palynology & its application on 4th September 2018. The resource person was Dr. P. Chaya, Assistant Professor, University college of Science, Saifabad.
She focused on the basic concept of Palynology & various areas of its applications. She emphasized the impact of pollen on human health which mostly induce allergy,forensic palynology andMelisso-palynology.
on 4thSeptember, 2018
Field visit :
- An educational field trip to Ananthagiri hills, Vikarabad was organized for students of B. Sc. (Botany) II & III years on 14th August 2018 with the aim to acquaint students about Biodiversity of Telangana region and theiradaptation tochanging environment. They have enriched their knowledge in medicinal plants, wild flora of Ananthagiri hills and collected specimens for herbarium on 14thAugust, 2018 .
- To acquaint students with local flora of Hyderabad and gain knowledge of common medicinal plants , the department arranged a field trip to Botanical garden at Kondapur and Herbal garden at Appa Junction, Hyderabad for II & III year students of MBC & BtBC on 11th August 2017.
Orientation Programs: To have insight in career options of Life Sciences and Biotechnology the department organised orientation programs for final year Life Science students on 23rd June & 8th July 2017 respectively. The resource person were from Dr. Mac Biopharma private ltd & GE Life sciences.
Department of Biotechnology has taken 43 students of II and III years to M.S. Swaminathan Research Foundation,Wayand,Kerala on 23rd to 27th April 2019 as a part of Educational field trip. Visit to the foundation was done for 2 days. The foundation maintains the various plants and a biodiversity conservation place for Rare, endangered and Threatened plants.
Medicinal plants, tubers, Mushroom cultivation, tissue cultured plants for protecting endangered plants. Rare orchids are also grown and conserved. The institute helps the local tribes in converving and also help them in identifying and understanding the medicinal properties of the plants. The institute is spread over 150 acres. It has a wide variety of species and a butterfly park too.
International Tour:Dr. P. Padmalatha and Dr.Anjana Shukla from Botany and Biotechnology Dept. along with students had gone for a trip to Malaysia and visited Sunway University on 4th to 8th January 2019 and had interaction with the faculties, visited various labs and gave the information of various courses offered by the University.
Global Youth Biodiversity Network affiliated to United Nations, called applications for Telangana Biodiversity Fellowship Programme. Main focus is to record the progress of biodiversity AICHI (headquartersJAPAN) targets of India. Eventually our students attended the interview and got selected for the fellowship and our students are volunteering for various workshops organized by Telangana State Forest Academy.
- On 25th August, 2018 ShaikShaheen, Nazmeen ,Archana, Akshya ,Mahalakshmi and Srujana from II BtBC attended fellowship workshop of Biodiversity.
- On 07th september, 2018as a part of fellowship member ShaikShaheen, Naazmeen and Akhila Rao visited Mansanpally Biodiversity Management Committee and surveyed the local farmers about the biodiversity and farming techniques ofthe village.
Asian Workshop(14th-21stOctober, 2018).
- One week workshop was attended by ShaikShaheen (fellowship member) IIBtBC and gained knowledge about youth mobilisation, advocacy, networking skills, monitoring and convention on biodiversity policies.
- Students planted medicinal saplings in the campus to bring awareness of medicinal values.
- Students volunteered for educational trips of various schools.
- Athyujwala, Sharanya , Shruthi & Neha from II MBC won 2ndprize for group singing at Dhruva college of management ( All India undergraduate students festival ) Muqabla- 2018.
- Students participated in Intercollegiate competitions at Andhdra Mahila Sabha for power point presentation and National Science Day celebration at Bhavan’s college Sainikpuri.
- Students presented model at Little Flower College as a part of decennial Celebration.
Women’s Day celebration
Department of Botany and Biotechnology conducted Women’s day celebration on 10th March 2018 in collaboration with a NGO OSFS (Our step for service) whose founder is an Alumni of BtBC.
On this occasion the NGO conducted various competitions like power point presentations, poetry, and 2 minutes speech on their personal inspiring experiences being a women. All competitions were based on the theme “Women empowerment”Nearly 40 students of I, II BtBC & MBC participated in these competitions, prizes and certificates were distributed which was sponsored by OSFC.