The department’s club "SARCINA" was launched with an idea to promote students interest and development in microbiology and involve them in advance scientific knowledge through personal associations and interchange of ideas. The activities of the club include Poster presentations, Paper presentations, quiz competitions, group discussions, awareness programs, promoting entrepreneurhip skills, projects and internships .
Sarcina club Activity: A poster presentation on causative agents, prevention and treatment of various food borne, water borne, vector borne and sexually transmitted diseases were prepared by B.Sc. and M.Sc. students and displayed in the college premises for all the staff and students on 20th January, 2017.
AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR MICROBIOLOGISTS STUDENT CHAPTER
The department collaborates with ASM to establish Student Chapter with an aim to promote the mission of ASM and offer educational and professional development resources and opportunities to students interested in microbiology and related sciences at international level. The Chapter provides students with opportunities to create networks with students, faculty, industry, and clinical laboratories, Hone their presentation skills, Develop leadership instincts, Collaborate with peers and local Branches
and give back to the community.
MICROBIOLOGISTS SOCIETY STUDENT CHAPTER
The department establishes Microbiologist Student Chapter with an aim to provide opportunities to students interested in microbiology at national level through competitions, guest lectures, online courses and workshops. The Chapter provides students with an opportunity to create networks and Collaborate with peer students of various colleges in India and also gets an opportunity to be selected as Best student of Year at state and national levels.
Fermentilicious Stalls –An exhibit and sale of fermented foods was organized by M.Sc & B.Sc Microbiology students on 18th November 2022.
- Department of Microbiology organisedInter Collegiate Competition : e Poster on the theme “COVID-19 Pathogenesis & Treatment” on 10 august 2020. where in students from various colleges participated and the best 3 posters were awarded cash prizes.
- Theme based RANGOLI Competition on IMMUNITY was organized by Department of Microbiology at St. Pious X Degree & PG College for Womenon 20th August 2019. The unique approach of the art of Rangoli was used to portray varied aspects of Immunity and its significance in human health. There were 54 participants in 27 teams who participated in this competition. Sarika &Mehreen of III MBC, Kavya &Divya of III MZC secured I Prize. Zahera& Mounika of II M.Sc Microbiology secured II Prize. Tejaswini&Sharanya of III BcMC, Ambika & Ramya of IIM.Sc Microbiology secured III Prize.
- The department organised Sarcina Club activity in association with the Microbiologist Society of India, Student chapter on 28th March 2019. As a part of the programme various activities were organized like Rangoli, Picture puzzle, eQuiz, Pictionary.
- FIERY FERMENTS: A Cookery competition was conducted by the Department of Microbiology for BSc & MSc Microbiology students on healthy & Nutritional Foods on 16th September 2019 . 18 Groups have participated.
- Student chapter of Microbiological Society was inaugurated on 10th april 2018. Dr.S.Sreedevi was the member and Faculty coordinator of Microbiologist society. 46 students of B.SC. and M.SC. were enrolled as annual members. Various competitions were organized like nail art, agar art, JAM and role play activities. Prof Gopal Reddy Sir was the Chief Guest for the Event . ASM members were announced and given their role by Dr Vindhya Vasini Roy HOD of Microbiology.
- The ASM Students Chapter, Department of Microbiology organized a poster competition on “Advances in Microbilogy.” On 6th September 2018. Twelve teams and all together 43 students took part in the competition. The posters were judged by Mrs. Sujatha from Genetics Department and Mrs. Padmini from Biochemistry Department. The winning posters were Microbes on Mobile, Solibacillus kalamii, Biomining.
- A poster presentation on causative agents, prevention and treatment of various food borne, water borne, vector borne and sexually transmitted diseases were prepared by B.Sc. and M.Sc. students and displayed in the college premises for all the staff and students on 20th January, 2017.
- Two-Day Workshop On Phenotypic Methods Of Bacterial Identification was organised on 2nd and 3rd November, 2018 Sponsored by ASM(American Society for Microbiology) Organised by St. Pious ASM student chapter Department Of Microbiology.
- The Sarcina Club of the department of Microbiology organized Intercollegite competitions as part of World Environent Day on the theme “MICROBES AND ENVIRONMENT”. The competitions organized were Memes, Microbe Facts, Article writing (1000 words). The winner of the competition is A.Keerthana, Annie Besant Women’s College won the first prize for Microbe Facts.