Welcome to Department of Zoology
Natural Sciences have attracted humans for two reasons, namely the mysterious and the aesthetic elements. Animals and plants are mysterious in their physiology and beautiful in their external morphology. That is why their study is interesting and exciting.
Established in the year 1993, The primary objective of the department is to impart quality education in the subject of Zoology. Within this broad stream, students are taught varied subjects like Cell biology, Ecology, Physiology, Genetics, Immunology and Biotechnology. knowledge of Applied Zoology paves way for self employment through opportunities in Aquaculture, Api-culture and Vermi-culture.
Being one of the oldest departments to be established right from inception of the institution. It serves to inculcate social responsibilities and serve the society by not only becoming Teachers, Scientists, Environmentalists but also responsible citizens who bridge the gap between science and common man. The Department has linkages at STATE LEVEL-TELANGANA FOREST DEPARTMENT,BCS(Butterfly Conservation Society),NATIONAL LEVEL-CEE(Centre for Environmental Education),GMERF(Global Medical Educational Research Foundation)ITC,RAMKY INTENNATIONAL LEVEL-SAYEN(South Asia Youth Environmental Network).
Vision, Mission & Motto
VISION - The Department of Zoology is a nurturing ground for an individual’s holistic development and to inculcate fraternal spirit for effective contribution to the society in a dynamic environment.
MISSION - "Through purposeful learning the creativity blossoms; when the creativity blossoms thinking emanates and the knowledge is fully lit."
MOTTO - Aspire, Act & Achieve
The very ethos of the department is to enable students to imbibe the values of discipline, hard work, cooperation, team spirit, tolerance and communal harmony. Academic and personal counseling motivate the students to “Set goals high and Dream high” and achieve success.
A host of co–curricular activities are organized every academic year to make learning beyond the class room, activities include seminars, workshops, guest lectures, community service and outreach programmes.
The Zooic Club honours the toppers of the public examination with cash awards which is a regular feature of the department
26th Oct 2016: The toppers of I MZC Sindhuja, II MZC Prasanna & III MZC Muneeba were awarded cash prizes.
Experts from various fields give talks, exposing them to various career options.
26th Oct 2016: A one day workshop on Butterfly Conservation was organised in collaboration with butterfly conservation society
The department is furnished with spacious lab, museum and infrastructure for practical learning and also promoting the use of ICT. The Department has accumulated a store house of knowledge, with various books and journals.
Apart from the lecture method, the interactive method, project-based learning, computer-assisted learning, experiential learning, seminars and other methods of teaching are in practice
The faculty motivates the students and develops the skills with which they find a way through the sea of knowledge using innovative methods. Since the inception of the department the students are actively involved in minor projects funded by the management. Faculty published 22 papers in national and international journals.
Students of 2nd MZC Sindhu, Shreya, Nikitha, Sreeja, Grishma, Sneha and Vaishali carried an interdisciplinary research on “Water pollution and its impact on human health in the surroundings of Nacharam ” and “Converting highly infested soil into fertile land vegetable garden of the campus”.
1. State level Puraskar
- 13th June 2016: Mrs Grace Beena Paul gave a presentation reflecting the vision and mission of the college and “teach to influence life” for the newly recruited faculty.
- Sep 3rd 2016: Mrs Grace Beena Paul presented a paper in International conference on Microbiology and agriculture.
- 22nd Nov-1st Dec 2016: Mrs Grace Beena Paul attended an International Conference at Melbourne, Australia and presented a research paper on “Myermica rubra as Ecosystem engineers and predators, anthills as hotspots of nutrients” sponsored by the Management, and the organisers - Australian Entomological Society and Entomological Society of New Zealand.
EXHIBITION:PIOUS COLONNADE: The department of Zoology actively took part in Pious Colonnade and came up with about 7 working models and exhibits.
Student Centric Acitivities & Linkages
- The department has MoUs with ITC-Ramky group & WOW (Wealth Out of Waste), BCS (Butterfly Conservation Society), A.P Forest department and CEE (Centre for environmental education).
- In unison with ITC-Ramky Group, the department has collected paper and plastic for recycling and brought about awareness among students & community
- The department has initiated Chrysalis Butterfly Park beautifully maintained in the college garden as a part of linkage with BCS (Butterfly Conservation Society) and conducts workshops related to Biodiversity and its conservation
- Conservation of Natural water body, HMT Lake in the neighborhood area is being carried out in collaboration with CEE (Centre for Environmental Education).
- The Department organizes Nature camps, Eco-aware programmes, Nutrition & Health concern programmes, Interdisciplinary surveys and outreach programmes in collaboration with EPTRI (Environment Protection Training and Research Institute), NAPM (National Alliance of People’s Movement), WWF (World Wide Fund for nature), and AICUF (All India Catholic University Federation).
- The Department organizes and attends faculty development programs, seminars, workshops, conferences at national and international level
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle – is one of the greatest environmental milestone activities of the dept. to promote environmental consciousness. On 12th and 13th July, 2016, the students collected more than three tones of old books and newspaper in collaboration with ITC WOW.